An integral part of the MBQ’s mission is music education. The quintet offers programs for students in elementary schools as well as middle school and high schools. Its highly-regarded Summer Brass Institute, Brass Weekends, and Audition Workshops offer young musicians the opportunity to learn important fundamental skills as well as play in advanced chamber ensemble settings. Elementary school and middle school programs offer an upbeat, age-focused approach to the appreciation of a variety of musical styles.
As artists-in-residence at the Levine School of Music since 1989, the MBQ founded and developed the school’s brass program. During this time the MBQ’s student ensembles have performed at the KennedyCenter, the Smithsonian Institution’s Hall of Musical Instruments, the NationalBuildingMuseum, at various embassies, and at other venues throughout the Washington metropolitan region. The MBQ held a Touring Artist Residence at PennState for the 2001/2002 academic year.
As artists-in-residents at the F.M.KirbyCenter for the Performing Arts in Wilkes-Barre,Pennsylvania since 1994, the Monumental Brass presents an annual two-day event of master classes, workshops, coaching sessions and concerts for school brass musicians from throughout the region. MBQ is on the artist rosters of:
- the Maryland State Arts Council’s Artists in Education Program
- Living Arts of Pennsylvania
- The Young Audiences of Virginia
- Class Acts
- The Washington Performing Arts Society
- June 23, Summer Brass Institute 2013, Highland, MD
- June 24, Summer Brass Institute 2013, Highland, MD
- June 25, Summer Brass Institute 2013 , Highland, MD
- June 26, Summer Brass Institute 2013 , Highland, MD
- June 27, Summer Brass Institute 2013 , Highland, MD
Summer Brass Institute 2011
(click to open, right-click to download)
— Washington Post